There are two common reasons that your period could be late. These two reasons assume that you have regular periods. If you do not have regular periods it is advisable to visit your doctor.
Missed Period Reason #1
If you’ve had unprotected sex and your period has been delayed. There is a high probability that you are pregnant. A home pregnancy test is recommendable at this time. Run to the pharmacy to get a home pregnancy test.
If you were hoping to get pregnant, and your pregnancy test is positive, congratulations you are on track to be a new mom. Time to make your first appointment with your gynecologist or specialist to confirm your pregnancy!
Missed Period Reason #2
If you have not had sex and your period has been delayed, there could be several reasons why you have not menstruated
Pregnancy is not the only reason why you can miss your period. Think hypothetically that the menstrual cycle is a precise machine with an ongoing process every month. This machine is not aware of external factors and it may lose control. Our body has to react to unplanned events. So some external factors that can affect your period are:
- You went off the pill. Your next period date can be affected because your body is adjusting.
- Disease: Illness can also cause period late. Again, relax and go to visit your doctor to find a remedy.
- Stress: The stress in our lives has been the cause of many problems. All our body reacts to hormones, including menstruation. Stress affects the hormone that causes menstruation, which is why our period may be delayed. Try to relax, and possibly exercise, to restore your normal cycle.
- Schedule changes: The human body also reacts to changes in schedules. If you suddenly stay working late, or you get up earlier than usual, this can affect your period.
- Overweight: Being overweight is cause of several disorders in your body, including a missed period. Hormonally menstrual cycles can be altered.
- Low weight: Being thin is not a problem, but being skinny, lower than your natural body weight, can be a problem. This can cause irregular periods, and the total loss of menstrual cycles. This disorder is commonly known as amenorrhea.
What if my period is late and the home pregnancy test is negative?
There are moms with a missed period, and negative pregnancy test, even when indeed they were pregnant. This is not uncommon, it happens.
One of the main reasons is a miscalculation on your period. There are always changes in the assumptions regular periods. The menstrual cycle is on average 28 days. This means that you have to count 28 days from the first day of your period in order to know when you are going to menstruate again. I’m honest, I can’t keep my cycle in my head. I have to have a calendar and mark the next date of menstruation. Otherwise, I have no idea. Therefore I recommend that you use a calendar to mark the day of your next period.
Other factors that can result in a negative pregnancy test when you missed a period are because of a change in your dates of ovulation, or the pregnancy test was performed before the implanting of the fertilized egg in the uterus wall.
Just in case, I suggest you take a second pregnancy test, maybe a blood test with your doctor. And if the result is still negative, and you continue to have abnormalities in your period, it’s advisable to visit your doctor.